The RMC Museum's collecting mandate is very broad. We collect art, objects and archives that tell the story of Point Frederick, the College, and the people who have lived, learned, taught and laboured here. The Museum is also interested in objects that enrich the cultural and educational environment of the College such as noteworthy art and weapons collections


The RMC Museum has an extensive art collection. The majority of the works are by Canadian artists but there are non-Canadian artists represented as well. The early collection, acquired by John Spurr, RMC’s Head Librarian from 1949 until 1981, includes military-themed prints, maps and watercolours. More recent additions include the Van Haastrecht Collection of Canadian art, the Gauthier Sculpture Collection and the Harvey Collection of paintings.

  • Original watercolour of the Commodore's House at Point Frederick by Emeric Essex Vidal, showing HMS Canada and Wolfe being constructed (neither completed).  Accession number 20110096-001
  • Canada's Answer by William Thurston Topham, depicts the sailing of Canada's First Contingent of troops, over 31,000 strong, from Canada to England, October 1914. Accession Number 20100076-001
  • Cathédral d'Ypres by Christopher Clark (1875-1942), November 1917. Accession Number 20100040-010
  • Marsh in the Netherlands by Cornelis Kuypers (1864-1932), presented to the First Canadian Army by a citizen of Liberated Holland and was accepted by Lieutenant General Charles Foulkes 29th June 1946. Accession Number 20100140-001
  • Vimy Ridge study, by William Longstaff (1879–1953), 1931. Accession Number 20110119-001
  • March Past of Cadets, R.M.C., 1896, attributed to D. Weatherbee (RMC 1892-1896). Accession Number 00000079-001
  • Cartoons drawn by A.B. Connelly (RMC 1927-1931) satirizing life as a cadet circa 1927 to 1930. Accession Number 20100148-003
  • Portrait of Admiral Sir Robert Barrie, KCB, as a Lieutenant, 1795. Accession Number 20110097-002
  • Rival on the Marshes by Clarence Tillenius (1913-2012), 1984


Dress, Insignia and Technical Equipment

This collection consists of artefacts that belonged to RMC Ex-Cadets or staff in the following categories: clothing; personal accoutrements; biological and chemical equipment; flags and banners; personal accessories; crests and plaques; badges and related insignia; and buttons as well as technical equipment including engineering kits, tools, communication equipment and similar items. 

  • This tunic was worn by  L.H. Irving (RMC 1876-1880) as Battalion Sergeant Major from 1879 to 1880. Tunics were part of the dress uniform and were made of scarlet doeskin. Accession Number 19940020-002
  • British Army 1869 pattern shako and helmet plate worn by RMC cadets until replaced by the Universal Pattern pith helmet between 1878 and 1880. Accession Number 19940020-001
  • T- Square used by A.A. Vernon (RMC 1897-1899). Vernon kept a diary on the square from February to May, 1899. Accession Number 00000088-001
  • letter opener, handle is carved and coloured to represent Major General D.R. Cameron, CMG, RMC Commandant from 1888 to 1896. Accession Number 00000077-001
  • Gold Epaulettes; rank of Lieutenant; worn by Rear Admiral DW Piers (RMC 1930-1934). Accession Number 0000045-005a-b
  • Full dress jacket, Royal Canadian Artillery, worn by C.H. Ballard (RMC 1929-1933). Accession Number 00000586-001


Orders, Decorations and Medals

The RMC Museum holds a large collection of orders, decorations and medals (ODM), many of which were earned or collected by Ex-Cadets or staff. The museum continues to collect ODM from these two groups as well as medals that represent conflicts in which RMC Ex-Cadets or staff may have participated.

  • Order, decoration, and medals awarded to Colonel W.R. Sawyer (RMC 1920-1924), RMC Vice-Commandant and Director of Studies, 1948 to 1967. Accession Number 00000118-003
  • Miniature medals of Lieutenant General Guy Simonds (RMC 1921-1925), Commander of First Canadian Division, 2nd Canadian Corps, and First Canadian Army during the Second World War, later to become CGS. Accession Number 20070026-002
  • Decoration and medals awarded to Air Commodore A.D. Ross (RMC 1924-1928) GC, CBE, CD, including his George Cross. Accession Number 00000046-004
  • Badge of the Companion of the Order of Saint Michael and Saint George, presented to Colonel E.O. Hewett. Accession number 00000622-001
  • Orders, decorations and medals of Colonel Sir E.P.C.  Girouard (RMC 1882-1886). Accession Number 200120010-001
  • Canada Medals, announced in October, 1944 but never awarded, seven samples were made were in English, seven in French. Accession numbers 00000762-001 and 00000762-002


Arms and Armour

RMC began collecting arms and armour in 1938, when a large collection of weapons and armour was purchased from the estate of General Porfirio Diaz, the former President of Mexico and donated to the College. The donor, Walter Douglas, intended for the collection to form the basis of a collection of arms and armour, of all times, which could enhance the military education offered at the RMC. Over the years, the Museum has continued to acquire additional arms and armour from the Department of National Defence and a variety of other sources. 

  • M1802 Sea service pistol, the type used by the British navy during the War of 1812. Accession number 20070011-001
  • Snider Enfield Mk 1 which was adopted by the British Army in 1866. It likely would have been used by the regiments garrisoned in Fort Frederick up until 1870. Accession number 00000993-002
  • Tulwar presented to H.C. Nanton (RMC 1879-1883) to commemorate his service as Chief Engineer of the Indian Corps in France from 1914 to 1915. Accession Number 20120019-001
  • Shin-Gunto acquired by R. Greenwood (RMC 1927-1931), who served in Burma and Malaya during the Second World War. Accession Number 00000257-002
  • Sword presented to A.C. Macdonell (RMC 1883-1886) by the officers of First Canadian Division in 1919. Accession Number 19970005-015
  • Dagger c. 1845-1850, possibly of French origin, in the manner of Félicie de Fauveau. A similar dagger is held at the Detroit Institute of Arts.



The RMC Museum has a large collection of reference books and periodicals on topics that represent the Museum’s distinct collections including a large collection of firearms related periodicals. These materials are available for use by visitors. All issues of the RMC Review have been scanned and are available to researchers. Please contact the Museum Curator for more information.

  • The Gun Report, January 1966
  • Badges of the Canadian Forces, 1977
  • Detour. The Story of Oflag IVC. Edited by Lt. J.E.R. Wood.,Detour. The Story of Oflag IVC. Edited by Lt. J.E.R. Wood., Drawings by Lt. J.F. Watton, Border Regt, 1946.

Archival Material

The archival collections consist of manuscript records (including letters, diaries, personal papers, manuscripts, maps, blueprints, RMC records and ephemera);  photographic records (including photos, slides, and films) and books that are significant because of who they belonged to or because they contain personal inscriptions by RMC Ex-Cadets or staff. In some instances, the distinction between these three collections is somewhat blurred - for example, in the area of scrapbooks, albums and postcards. The Commandant’s Reports from 1876 to 1916 have been scanned and are available to researchers. Please contact the Museum Curator for more information. 

  • The Conspiracy of Pontiac and the Indian War after the Conquest of Canada, volumes one and two, written by Francis Parkman and presented to A.G. Wurtele  (RMC 1876-1880) as an academic prize in 1877. Accession Number 20150021-001
  • Guest Book, A Mess, 2nd Canadian Corps, covers the period from 22 April 1943 to 13 June 1945, contains the signatures of Mess guests and includes the signatures of H.M. King George VI, Winston Churchill, Field Marshal Montgomery, General Crerar and other notable senior Canadian officers. Accession Number 20120003-008
  • Souvenir book created by the  Entertainment Committee Netherlands in Apeldoorn for G.G. Simonds (RMC 1921-1925). Accession Number 20120003-009
  • First Class Certificate awarded to A.G. Wurtele (RMC 1876-1880) in 1880, from a book of the first hundred and sixty diplomas presented by RMC.
  • A page from Lieutenant Colonel Sir E.P.C. Girouard's (RMC 1882-1886)  book, History of the Railways During the War in South Africa, 1899-1902, showing a map of the railways. Accession Number 20120010-002
  • Diary kept by L.J. Birchall (RMC 1933-1937) while a Prisoner of War in Japan from December 4th, 1943 to January 20th, 1944. Accession Number 20120015-001

Archaeological Material and Structures

This collection consists of archaeological objects recovered from Point Frederick and the surrounding water and objects related to College buildings or functions that do not fit into other collections such as pieces from the Mackenzie Clock tower and decorative provincial shields that were removed from Currie Hall.

  • Iron flintlock mechanism from a musket or pistol issued to the British Infantry and Navy used in the defence of the Canadas
  • Cast iron cooking pot found in Navy Bay from the late 1700s to early 1800s
  • Candle snuffer found in the area the of the dockyard Officer’s Quarters
  • Pearlware tea cup with Blue-Transfer Print decoration dates to 1783-1830, would have been used only by the officers at the dockyard
  • Pearlware  saucer with Blue-Transfer Print decoration dates to 1783-1830, would have been used only by the Officers at the Dockyard
  • Dockyard workers and members of the British Garrison often lived with their families on the Point. These children’s toys including a porcelain cat, clay marble, glass doll’s eye, doll’s boot, and scrimshaw horse are symbolic of that domestic life.

Souvenirs and Models

The scope of the souvenirs includes ashtrays, handkerchiefs, plates, trench art, and tobacco tins. The bulk of the model collection consists of toy soldiers and models covering a large portion of Canadian military history with representation from Canada's historic allies and enemies. Most of the souvenirs and models were collected by RMC Ex-Cadets and staff.

  • E Battery, RCHA flag used during the South African War, kept by G.H. Ogilvie (RMC 1879-1882), OC of the battery. Accession Number 00000249-016
  • German field telephone collected as a souvenir by D.W. Frederick (RMC 1916-1917) in 1918. Accession Number 20090069-012A
  • Buddha statue collected by E. T. Taylor (RMC 1878-1882). Accession number 19930032-002


RMC’s silver collection has two parts: the Leinster Plate and the College silver. The Leinster Plate is a large collection of silver that belonged to the 100th (Royal Canadian) Regiment and later the 1st Battalion, The Prince of Wale’s Leinster Regiment (Royal Canadians). The silver was accumulated for use in the officers’ mess from the time of the raising of the regiment in Canada in 1858 until its disbandment in 1922.  Upon disbandment, the silver was given in trust to the Government of Canada and it was placed at RMC. The College silver is made up of all the other pieces of silver that the college has collected over the years from a variety of sources.

  • Lloyd's Patriotic Fund tankard awarded to Captain Francis Brockell Spilsbury for his gallant action in cutting out an enemy ship at Malagra, Spain, on 29 April 1812.  Accession Number 199800
  • Loving Cup presented to RMC in 1907 by the 14 surviving members of the Old Eighteen in commemoration of their entry in June, 1876, for use at College and Club Dinners, and is still used at Dinners held annually in Kingston during Reunion Weekend
  • Kingsmill bugle, an athletic award presented to the top athlete each year. If it was won three times by the same person, he was allowed to keep it and the replacement was named after him. Accession number 00000099-001
  • A tea cup which is part of a Persian tea service presented to F.F. Hunter (RMC 1894-1898), Chief staff Officer in Persia, 1916 to 1917.
  • Commander-in-Chief's bowl (India) for shooting presented by His Excellency, Sir Frederick Roberts, VC, GCB, GCIB, Commander-in-Chief in India, Beaten Indian silver, 1888
  • Tobacco box presented by Lieutenant N.H.C. Dickinson, dated 1891

Date modified: